Friday, September 2, 2011

Another Collapse Blog?

In this time when discussion of political and economic disorder has gone from being a fringe topic only discussed by doomers to front-page news in the mainstream media outlets, another blog chronicling collapse might seem to be redundant. After all, there already exist a number of well-written and knowledgeable blogs covering aspects of this very same topic (many of which can be found on my blogroll). So why am I doing this?

There are two main reasons. First, I don't know of any blogger in Cascadia who is writing about collapse that is addressing issues particular to our area. Since most of the trends currently affecting us are continent-wide or world-wide in scope rather than being local issues, I imagine that most of my blogging in the near-term will be general in nature rather than local, but I suspect this will change as events progress. In any event, I intend to try and post at least occasionally on topics of local and regional interest.

Secondly, one of many inspirations for this has been The Dark Mountain Project. One of the principles of this project is that story-telling and writing about what is happening to us is important (and in fact "It is through stories that we weave reality", to quote from the Eight Principles of Uncivilisation), and that it is important for as many people as possible to tell the stories of their reality. This is intended to be a portion of my contribution.

I don't have any immediate goals with this blog other than to post something of quality regularly (at least once per week) on it. Hopefully others will find it useful and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment